” Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.”- unknown.
Day 1 schedule science drop
family day: Modified schedule . No lunch
Birthdays: Steven Bennett, Michael Dacus, Ross Bertram
Brandon Wade showed COURAGE when he shared his story during community meeting.
Shout out to all the dancers who made the Cannon Dance recital so wonderful.
Concert in the quad this Friday. Food truck too!
QPR today, April 16th. It’s from 3:30-5:00 and if people would like to attend they should let me or Mrs. Hoffman know.
On Friday we will host a very special guest during Leadership Lunch in Foundation Hall, Mr. Richard Schwein served as an FBI Special Agent for over 26 years. He served as a senior executive in the FBI Counterterrorism Division and was detailed to the CIA Counterterrorism Center at Langley, Virginia as the Deputy Director for Law Enforcement. He was responsible for managing the intelligence and planning interagency operations to pre-empt, disrupt and defeat global terrorist organizations. Mr. Schwein started his government service as an intelligence officer in the U. S. Army and spent five years in Airborne and special mission units. He was Ranger qualified and his military service included participation in combat in the Middle East as part of a joint special operations expeditionary force.
Upper School students:
- Every five years, Cannon School has an opportunity to reflect on our teaching and learning, our community, our programs, etc. Through this reflection, the school creates a written report and comes up with goals as a school. Because we are an independent school, we are not held to the same guidelines as public schools, but we are held to strict standards agreed upon by independent school organizations..
- A Visiting Team of educators will visit our school, take the report we have written, and do an objective assessment on what we do at Cannon. This team includes other Heads of Schools, Deans, and teachers.
- This year, the Visiting Team will be here April 19th-21st (Sunday-Tuesday),and may be meeting with students, teachers, and parents. They will be visiting our campus, dropping into classes, and will be present in hallways.
- After they leave, they will write a report. That report will commend us on what we are doing well and will offer us things to work on in the next five years. The next team (five years from now) will ask us how we grew as a school based on the last report. We will be reaccredited through this process-this is a really big deal!
- If you are asked a question or you interact spontaneously with a Visiting Team member, just be honest and respectful – remember that you are representing Cannon and will be seen as a representative of our student body.
This is an important process, and we want to be sure that the visiting team sees our day-to-day school operations in the best possible light. In other words, be yourself, proceed
“as usual,” but understand that visitors will take away impressions of our school based on our actions and words that day. We have an amazing school and we want that message to come across in how we “do school” those days. The goal is for our school to be reaccredited and appreciated for its unique strengths.
Spring Spirit/Senior Night on Tuesday, April 28th.
- The stadium concession stand & grill will be open 5pm until the end of the varsity lacrosse game.
- Cougar Club would like to offer ALL seniors (not just senior athletes) to stop by for free dinner (hamburger/hotdog, chips, drink).
- As is our new tradition, we will have the senior athlete banners displayed in the stadium and they are free to take them after the recognition is complete.
- Finally, we’ll have some of our future lax players throwing out t-shirts to fans every time Cannon scores a goal in the varsity game.
coming this Friday April 17th
As part of the Upper School’s Prom Promise activities, the EMPOWER!/SADD Club is hosting a Kona Ice Event this Friday during lunch in the Quad.
Enjoy delicious shaved ice for $3, $4, or $5 dollars
Remember to bring cash or debit card on Friday. Proceeds benefit EMPOWER!/SADD Club.
EMPOWER! is a chapter of SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions), a national student organization to promote healthy choices and decision making.
Prom Promise is a national event where high school students pledge to have a safe & sober prom.
Juniors & Seniors who sign the Prom Promise Pledge will get a 50 cents off coupon!
Juniors & Seniors who sign the Prom Promise Pledge will get a 50 cent off coupon!
Want to be a part of the exciting things happening with the Lady Cougars basketball program? If so, make plans to join Coach Kulp for an interest meeting lunch on Friday, April 17, in the private dining room. Any Upper School girl interested in or already planning to play basketball next year is welcome! Important, time-sensitive information regarding plans for next season will be provided. You don’t want to miss it, so grab your lunch and join us! Contact Coach Kulp (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
Kitty City donation boxes have been placed in the front office and by the upstairs printer . Please donate to a good cause.
The GSA’s service project is Friday, April 17, the Day of Silence, a day organized to honor those who have been silenced by bullying
for their gender identity or sexual orientation (you can learn more at http://www.dayofsilence.org/). All participants (that means you guys) stay silent for an entire day to bring awareness to this, while wearing the awesome t-shirts provided by the GSA! If you buy this year’s shirt, your money will go towards an awesome organization called the Trevor Project that specifically helps LGBT+ teens.
Sophomores and Juniors:
Please register on Family Connections to meet with college admissions representatives from:
|North Carolina State University||616||4/27/15 12:25 PM|
Did You Know? DYK
* Prom is this Saturday who will be Prom King and Queen?
* Congratulations to the sword ceremony recipients: Sydney Frankenburg, Erin Mason, Julia Liborio, and Anna Edwards.
There is lots for us to know! If you have something that you would like to share with the Cannon Upper school community, please email the information to Sramsey@cannonschool.org. All information must be received by 3pm
to guarantee next day publication. Thanks for keeping us in the know!
After school events: