- The varsity girls golf team pulled out another victory playing Charlotte Latin at Providence Country Club and shot their lowest combined score of 118. Taylor Bunten played fantastic and show composure to capture the team medalist with a 38. Both Kate and Annie Collom came in behind shooting strong rounds of 40 for help with the win. Anna Redding had an out of ordinary round but still hung in to shoot a 44 despite troubles on the green. With a team total of 139, Charlotte Latin players showed us true sportsmanship with a great attitudes and smiles at the end.
- Today’s Junior Varsity Tennis match between the Cannon Cougars and the Providence Day Chargers was competitive to the end. In singles the Cougars split with the Chargers 3-3 with the top 3 courts going to the Cougars and the bottom 3 to the Chargers. Cougar winners include Tori Campbell, Ann Rollins Johnson, and Nicole Voulgaropoulos. The doubles was up and down for the Cougars taking court 2, losing on 3 while leading on court 1. Cannon’s court 1 doubles tried to close it out with a lead, but were unable to finish in a tiebreak which decided the team match; a very close 5-4 win for Providence Day.
Individual scores were as follows;
1. Tori Campbell (C) d Julia Marx 8-5.
2. Ann Rollins Johnson (C) d Emily Ashkin 8-4.
3. Nicole Voulgaropoulos (C) d Niki Plaus 8-5.
4. Rachael Fitzpatrick (C) fell to Mallory Toth 8-6.
5. Katie Fitzpatrick (C) fell to Elyssa Scherer 8-2.
6. Angela Poffenbaugh (C) fell to Eleanor Parky 8-3.
1. Ann Rollins Johnson/Tori Campbell (C) fell to Marx/Plaus 9-8.
2. Carolyn Hynes/Nicole Vulgaropoulos (C) d Ashkin/Toth 8-2.
3. Katie Fitzpatrick/Rachel Fitzpatrick (C) fell to Abbey Holly/Lily Hader 8-1.
Angela Poffenbaugh/Scottie Dickins (C) d Scherer/Parky 8-6.
- After a week off and some injured players returning, the varsity volleyball team is looking good for the second half of the season. They came out strong against Providence Day, but fell in three. Front row was led by Jane Campbell and Ashley Ervin with some great blocks and kills. Scores: 18-25, 24-26, 18-25.
- The middle school volleyball teamed suffered their first loss of the season to Holy Trinity. Nothing went right for the girls in set one and dropped the set with a score of 9-25. The girls rallied to take set two with a score of 25-18, but set three presented a challenge too big to overcome and the set was lost with a score of 20-25. The team had a tough day with serving all around and could not pull out a win. The girls take on Providence Day at home today at 4:15 pm.
- In a tough loss the varsity tennis team faced the top ranked Providence Day School girls team after a week off that took the Cannon girls out of their game. Cannon managed to give a tough fight in three singles matches but only managed to win 1 out of 6. In doubles Cannon paired up new partners in an attempt to shake things up only to lose all 3 doubles matches. Final Score: Cannon 1 PDS 8
The girls travel to Raleigh this weekend to play two tough teams over two days.
- MS tennis traveled to face the always tough Holy Trinity Bulldogs. Cannon got off to a slow start in singles, losing 2 of the first 3 matches. The Cougars battled back to even the singles score at 3 each. Cassidy Goff started the charge by reeling off 7 straight games after falling behind 1-3. The Cougars played great doubles and quickly won the # 1 and 2 positions to win the match. Mackenzie Hanby and Emily Jin played an excellent match but just fell short at the end. The final score was 5-4 in favor of the Cougars. Next up for Cannon is undefeated Providence Day at home.
#1 McKinley Riley lost 6-8
#2 Kendall McReynolds lost 3-8
#3 Cassidy Goff won 8-3
#4 Caroline Malmstrom lost 3-8
#5 Jordan Lauher won 8-4
#6 Sarah Miner won 8-6
Soumya Avva lost 4-8
#1 Malmstrom/McReynolds won 8-3
#2 Miner/Lauher won 8-3
#3 Jin/Hanby lost 6-8
Mitlehner/Cheung won 8-0