- The varsity girl’s golf team remained undefeated on Monday! The Cougars defeated conference opponent Charlotte Country Day by the score of 120-137. Leading the ladies and the medalist for the match was Anna Redding who shot a one over par 37. Annie Collom posted a 41, Kate Collom shot a 42, and Taylor Bunten posted a 44 for the Cougars.
- The JV volleyball team lost to Charlotte Latin. After having a rough start in the first set, but the girls came back strong in the second.
- The Varsity volleyball team lost a conference match against Charlotte Latin in three. The ladies had some great moments, but struggled to put everything together. Scores: 7-25, 13-25, 12-25.
- On Monday, the middle school volleyball team took on Lake Norman Charter on their court. It was a tough battle, but the girls pulled out another win. After having lost first set with a score of 16-25, the girls dug deep for the strength to stay in the game and won the second game with a score of 25-21 and sealed the match with a win in the third game of 25-12. Girls are getting stronger every game, and some pulled out jump serves to add a little spice to the game. Congratulations to everyone – – it was a team effort! Well-deserved win. The girls play again Tuesday at home against Charlotte Country Day School at 4:15 pm.
- Middle School soccer traveled to face a fast and formidable opponent in Lake Norman Charter Monday. The Cougars battled with the Knights for thirty minutes and a scoreless first half. The Knights would get on the board first and continue with three more goals before Will Hanson scored with a well-placed shot over the Knight’s keeper. The Knights would answer with another goal of their own. Matthew Chaiken broke through and scored his first goal of the season with just three minutes remaining in the game. Despite the late goals and hard play from Chandler Frazier in the middle, it was not enough for the Cougars who fell 6-2. The team travels again today to Charlotte Country Day for a 4:15 kickoff.
- Yesterday’s Junior Varsity Tennis match between the Cannon Cougars and the Charlotte Latin Hawks was a great match to watch! The singles portion of the match displayed competitive lines all around. Even court #1, that finished with a score of 8-3 for Latin went to deuce in almost every game. The afternoon however, did not fall to the Hawks! Cannon took 4 courts in the singles with winners including Tori Campbell, Ann Rollins Johnson, Mary Kate Mackin, and Katie Fitzpatrick — Fitzpatrick, who fought back from being down 3-6 in her singles match found it within herself to alter her game accordingly and win the #6 court in a set tiebreak! The Cougars then sprang into action in the doubles portion jumping ahead on all 3 courts. Lines 2 & 3 were able to dominate through to the end, while line 1’s opponents closed a 2 break gap and finally won 8-6. However, with the wins on courts 2 & 3 Cannon sealed the 6-3 victory for the Cougars! All the Lady Cougars were winners in this one. Whether in singles or doubles; Exhibition or not, all cougars walked away with at least 1 win this afternoon!
Individual scores were as follows;
1. Carolyn Hynes (C) fell to Grace Anderson 8-3.
2. Tori Campbell (C) d Eleanor Pickney 8-5.
3. Ann Rollins Johnson (C) d Sarah Stephens 8-4.
4. Mary Kate Mackin (C) d Caroline Henley 8-4.
5. Rachael Fitzpatrick (C) fell to Olivia Barrons 8-5.
6. Katie Fitzpatrick (C) d Rachel Calloway 9-8(5)
1. Ann Rollins Johnson/Tori Campbell (C) fell to Anderson/Stephens 8-6 .
2. Carolyn Hynes/Nicole Vulgaropoulos (C) d Pickney/Henley 8-2.
3. Mary Kate Mackin/Katie Fitzpatrick (C) d Meg Bryant/Nancy Jones 8-3.
- The varsity soccer team battled hard but came up short 4-0 vs. Charlotte Latin. The Cougars went down 1-0 to a penalty kick and held on until halftime to the 1-0 deficit. But after the half the Hawks struck quickly and the Cougars could not recover giving up 2 late goals. Sophomore Larkin Felker and junior Bradley Barnhart played well in defense while freshman Chris Gaskin had a solid game in midfield.
- The Cannon Cougars JV soccer team played a tough Charlotte Latin team and lost 5-3. The Cougars got three more goals from junior Paul Anderson (7 goals in last 2 games), but could not overtake a strong Hawks team. Juniors Kyle Kays and Moonsung Lee played a strong game in midfield and defense.
- Cannon’s girl’s middle school tennis team had a re-match with Lake Norman Charter at the Charlotte Racquet Club North on Monday. In the first meeting the Cougars escaped with a 5-4 win and the winning continued with a 7-2 victory. The Knights jumped out to leads in 4 of the 6 singles matches. Sarah Miner and Jordan Lauher gave the team a 2-0 win as they controlled their matches throughout. Caroline Malmstrom was behind 1-5 but roared back with blistering serves to win 7 straight games and the match at 8-5. Cassidy Goff got her ground strokes going late in her match and escaped with an 8-6 win. Kendall McReynolds had a back and forth match that saw some great tennis. Kendall came up short 7-9 but she had her chances to win. McKinley Riley continues to play well at #1 but ran into a very consistent opponent who out-lasted her for a 4-8 loss. After the singles portion Cannon lead 4-2. Doubles play has been up and down all season but Cannon needed 1 win for the victory. The girls went out and played their best doubles of the season. Cassidy and McKinley finally clicked together and dominated their match 8-4. Kendall and Caroline played awesome tennis and jumped out to a 7-1 lead then hung on to win 9-7. Sarah and Jordan continue to be very consistent and they clinched the match by winning quickly 8-2. Emily and Mackenzie played well and won 8-2 as did Mimi and Carolyn. Soumya continues to make positive steps but fell in her singles match 2-8. Cannon is now 5-0 and will face Charlotte Country Day on Tuesday.
- Cannon’s varsity girl’s tennis team came up short against a tough Latin team on Monday. Cannon came into the match without two top starters in singles and doubles. The Cougars played hard but were behind the entire way. After 3 hours of singles and 3 tiebreakers Cannon found no victories in singles and closed the match with 2 doubles wins. Final score was Latin 7 and Cannon 2. Cannon is now 7-3 will be off all week and resume play next Tue at home against Providence Day.