- Thursday’s Junior Varsity Tennis match between the Cannon Cougars and the Charlotte Catholic Cougars was very close, with the match coming down to the very last individual line! Charlotte Catholic took courts 1-4 while 5 and 6 went to Cannon. Cannon then closed the gap winning doubles courts 2 and 3, which left team captain Carolyn Hynes and Rachel Fitzpatrick playing in the #1 doubles position tied at 5-5. Though they gave it a valiant effort with the remaining games going to deuce, they could not close any more games and the deciding match finished at 8-5, giving Charlotte Catholic a close 5-4 victory over the Cannon Cougars. Winners for Cannon included Katie Fitzpatrick and Angela Poffenbaugh in singles, and Tori Campbell, Ann Rollins Johnson, Angela Poffenbaugh, and Nicole Vulgaropoulos in doubles.
Individual scores were as follows;
1. Carolyn Hynes (C) fell to April Purvis 8-1.
2. Ann Rollins Johnson (C) fell to Ally Braccia 9-7.
3. Mary Kate Mackin (C) fell to Neeley Walsh 8-3.
4. Rachael Fitzpatrick (C) fell to Lucy Green 8-3.
5. Katie Fitzpatrick (C) d Elena St. Onge 8-4.
6. Angela Poffenbaugh (C) d Amanda Bruner 8-3.
1. Carolyn Hynes/Rachael Fitzpatrick (C) fell to Purvis/Walsh 8-5.
2. Ann Rollins Johnson/Tori Campbell (C) d Clare Gibbons/Abbey Kriedler 8-2.
3. Angella Poffenbaugh/Nicole Vulgaropoalos (C) d Morgan Gruender/Sydney Wolfert 8-4.
Mary Kate Mackin/Katie Fitzpatrick (C) fell to Ally Braccia/Lucy Green 8-5.
- The Cannon Cougars boys varsity soccer traveled to take on the Hickory Grove Lions on Thursday evening and came out victorious, 1-0. The Cougars started off the game well creating multiple scoring chances in the first 10 minutes. Sophomore midfielder Nikolas Stylianou had the best chance of the half when his long range effort was tipped over the crossbar by the Lions’ keeper. The Cougars had a close call on the defensive end when off a corner the Lions had a shot on goal saved off the line by sophomore defender Larkin Felker that went directly back into the arms of senior keeper Scott Krusell. The game went to halftime 0-0. In the second half the Cougars again came out strong and scored early on when Stylianou played a nice one touch pass to junior winger Jeffrey Schachner. Schachner took the ball down the line and crossed well with his left foot to onrushing freshman Chris Gaskin who beat the keeper to the ball at the near post and slotted it home for the 1-0 lead. The Cougars continued to create chances through some nice possession play but could not capitalize. Cannon managed to keep a good deal of possession in the Lions’ half and only allowed a few half chances from set plays and counter attacks. Overall, a very solid performance from the Cougars. Scott Krusell recorded his 4th shutout of the season in goal and freshman Ryan Murphy, sophomore Jake Flynn and junior Bradley Barnhart all had excellent performances for Cannon.
- The Varsity volleyball team fell to High Point Christian in three. Scores: 11-25, 9-25, 13-25.
- On Thursday the Cougar XC team traveled to High Point to run against Wesleyan Christian and Faith Christian. On the boys side, Tim Gruber won the race, setting a new course record for the Wesleyan course with a time of 16:41. Patrick Hunter placed 4th in 18:35, with David Shaw 5th in 19:00, Andrew Zelina 10th in 20:33, and Tanner Cindric 11th in 20:34. Stephen Nymberg also had a very solid race finishing 6th for the Cougars in 15th place with a time of 21:06. Tommy Prindle finished his 2nd 5K in less than a week, breaking the 40 minute barrier finishing with a time of 39:28! Way to go Tommy!! In the team scores, the boys fell short however against the host school 29 – 33 with Faith Christian well behind with 76 points. On the girls side, Cannon finished with a 1 – 5 sweep of the places, to sweep the team scores with 15 points, Wesleyan with 55 and Faith Christian with 62. Cassie Calvert also walked away with the new course record, running a 23:12, followed by Madison Miller 23:23, Kenzie Moyer in 23:36, Darby West in 24:01, and Vanessa Dane in 5th with a time of 24:15. Allie Gray placed 8th in 26:32 and Emily Fromke finished 13th in 27:19. The XC team will next compete on Tuesday at McAlpine Park in the annual Gil Murdock Relays.
- The varsity girls tennis team defeated High Point Christian with a score of 7-2 before the rain hit. Winners for the Cougars in singles were Katie Swink, Jenna Wagner, Katie Parenica, Kate Beckman and Carly Davis. Winners in doubles were Emily and Kate Beckman, Emily Malstrom and Carly Davis. The Cougars will play Charlotte Latin on Monday, September 19 at Latin.
- The Cannon MS Football team traveled to Lake Norman Charter and brought a good fight to the field. The Cougars lost 20-6; however, the game was much closer than the score. The Cougars kicked off to open the game and the defense shut down Lake Norman Charter. After which the Cougar offense marched the ball down to the 2 yard line but could not get in the endzone. After back and forth action, Lake Norman Charter struck first blood with a broken long play for a touchdown. The Cougars then gave up two more touchdowns, one on special teams and the other on another long play, before half to go into halftime 0-20. The Cougars fought hard the entire second half and never gave up. The Cougars got on the board early in the 4th Quarter with a touchdown run by Ben Szilagyi. The Cougar defense shut down the Lake Norman Charter team in the second half not allowing them to score. The Cougars wracked up 214 total yards in offense with 177 on the ground and 37 in the air. Final score 6-20.